Our nation has already celebrated its birthday. Now it is Alexandria’s turn. July 8th is Alexandria’s birthday! And there will be fireworks to celebrate.
Alexandria will celebrate its 268th birthday with a waterfront party Saturday at Oronoco Bay Park. The event will include food vendors, live music, birthday cake and will culminate with a spectacular fireworks show over the Potomac River.
The schedule is as follows:
- 5 p.m. – Performance by Ocho de Bastos
- 6 p.m. – Performance by U.S. Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
- 7:30 p.m. – Welcome by Mayor Allison Silberberg, poetry reading by Alexandria Poet Laureate Wendi R. Kaplan
- 8 p.m. – Birthday cake
- 8:30 p.m. Alexandria Symphony Orchestra, Continental Color Guard present the National Anthem
- 9:30 p.m. – Fireworks display with “1812 Overture” featuring cannon support by the Presidential Salute Battery of the 3d United States Infantry Regiment
You can also find author Jay Roberts and illustrator Christine Youngbluth signing their book Lost Alexandria, An Illustrated History of Sixteen Destroyed Historic Homes in and Around Alexandria, Virginia. This will take place from 4 p.m.-6 p.m. in the Hotel Indigo’s library.
Happy Birthday, Alexandria!